Last week, I told my coworkers about my adventures of baby gear researching. After all the laughs I realized, “Oh yeah, I guess this is the sort of stuff I am supposed to be blogging about!” Sorry everyone, I am a newbie at this!
Well, the other night, the planner in me wanted to start deciding items we needed to buy for our little Sweet Pea. To me, the whole pregnancy is sometimes like a project- sort of like how I planned our wedding. I have checklists, books, a website, excel spreadsheets, etc. Every once in awhile, it hits me that is just not a project, and that I am carrying another human being inside me. For example, the other night, Chris and I were watching TV and I quickly turned to him and was like “Oh my gosh, I have a baby in my tummy!” J It made him laugh. It hits both of us at different moments, so it is always fun to see the reaction of the person that makes this profound discovery.
Well, anyways, I thought it would be fun to start looking at baby items. I know it is a little early, but again, sometimes the planner in me is going crazy not accomplishing things NOW. What sounds like more fun than shopping for cute little baby items? I was excited at the thought of being productive. I thought I would start with the stroller, and then move to the car seat, play yard, swing—this was going to be exciting! Needless to say, I had no idea what I was getting myself into that night!
Well, anyways, I thought it would be fun to start looking at baby items. I know it is a little early, but again, sometimes the planner in me is going crazy not accomplishing things NOW. What sounds like more fun than shopping for cute little baby items? I was excited at the thought of being productive. I thought I would start with the stroller, and then move to the car seat, play yard, swing—this was going to be exciting! Needless to say, I had no idea what I was getting myself into that night!
Strollers…seriously, how hard could it be? I first started looking at the registry websites, and then realized I had no idea what the difference was between all the million models. I thought I could look at a few “Top Ten” lists and easily make my decision. Again, I was wrong. Everyone’s top ten was different.
So, I thought I would decide based on the options- boy, I was not ready. Not only were the usual consideration points such as brand, color, or price available, but also (are you ready?) weight, baby size, if it is part of a travel system, safety rating, wheel size, bedding material, type of use (jogger mom, hip mom, functional mom), cup holders, storage capacity, folding ease, telescopic handle, reverse handling so the child can be rear-facing or front-facing, and canopy size- just to name a few J. Of course, all these options were not clearly listed for each model so you could quickly compare. Every time I thought I found an option that was ok to live without—I would find a review or better yet, a YouTube video, which would show me that particular option was really important and really cool!
I described this to my coworkers as being similar to our experience of picking out cabinetry in our home. As with a custom home, the world is the limit on your options for the house. You THINK you would be completely fine with the plainer cabinets, but the minute you see the raised panels with the rope trim and the staggered heights—you can’t imagine your house without it!
I described this to my coworkers as being similar to our experience of picking out cabinetry in our home. As with a custom home, the world is the limit on your options for the house. You THINK you would be completely fine with the plainer cabinets, but the minute you see the raised panels with the rope trim and the staggered heights—you can’t imagine your house without it!
Could we really live with no cup holders? Or even one cup holder? Would we want be able to change the baby from rear-facing to front facing with a quick turn of the handle? Do we want a stroller that is part of a car seat set? Do we really need a peak-a-boo view finder in our canopy? So, three hours later, I had more questions than answers and had not even moved on past the strollers! I made some notes on my excel spreadsheet and called it a night. This was not going to be as easy as I thought…maybe I would start with pacifiers next J
No comments:
Post a Comment