Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Making Naveenie’s food

I was actually very excited about Naveen moving into vegetables.  We actually first experimented with peas over the New Years' break at Chris’ house in Kentucky.  I just smashed steamed peas and he ate it with excitement!  That really helped me make the decision that I wanted to make Naveen’s baby food.  I know, I know…like I do not have enough to do! :) But, seriously, I was really excited about being able to continue to provide Naveen’s meals.  It made me feel good to do this for him.

At first, I was not sure the best way of making his food, but now I do it without any hesitation.  First, I will steam whatever vegetable we are testing this week (a new vegetable is introduced every 4 days to make sure there are no allergies).  Then, I blend the vegetable and add some water in my Magic Bullet.  Side note: Although I have had the Magic Bullet since 2006, this is the most I have used it!  It was actually the first Christmas gift that Chris bought me when we first met! 


Ok, next I spoon the puree into a ice cube tray and freeze the food.  For every solid food feeding (we are doing twice a day now), Naveen will have two ice cubes which is equal to about 2 ounces of food.  Every night, I just place two cubes each in two containers and send it with him to daycare.  That’s it!  If I spend about 30-40 minutes on all this (steaming is really the thing that takes time), I can make enough food for 1.5-2 week!

So far, Naveen has not showing signs of his dad’s-vegetable-hating-gene! Yay!  We have tried peas, carrots, zucchini, butternut squash, avocado, edamame, cauliflower, sweet potato, broccoli, strawberries, bananas—he has loved it all!  I have even added things like garlic and cinnamon to his food :)  Chili pepper should be coming soon!  Haha!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment